About our Client
Our client is a family owned manufacturing and retail business based in North Bristol. They are a growing business with a turnover of over £110 million, and a great market share. They have a team of over 500 people and this role is in the retail sector that employs 30-40. They have a great company culture, friendly and supportive and open to new ideas.
About the role
As a Commercial Finance Business Partner, you will support/challenge your business function. The role should create value by improving the quality of information and decision support to the heads of business and ensure that the business strategy is delivered with the highest financial benefit at an acceptable level of risk.
We are looking for an ambitious finance professional, wanting to work in a successful family business. You will report to the Group Head of Finance but with a strong dotted line to the Head of the business division.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Provide financial insight and challenge to support the Head of the business division in delivering the strategic business direction
- Provide in depth analysis to assist in reviewing and assessing specific sales channel activity, with a specific focus on sales mix and margin performance
- Review and develop options / alternatives to improve business performance and bridge gaps between current and desired financial performance (in support of the forecasting/planning process)
- Stimulate best practice and alignment across the function and the wider organisation and support the delivery of the corporate plans and strategy
- Act as a catalyst in driving forward initiatives critical to delivering the strategy (e.g. system improvements, cost optimisation, margin delivery, profit maximisation etc.)
- Review and develop a robust internal financial controls environment
- Responsible for annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting and develop the business knowledge and relationships to efficiently support and challenge business performance/assumptions and assist in delivering the business plan
- Work closely with the Senior Management Accountant to continuously review and challenge reports and the Management Accounts provided by the team; support the process of continual improvement
- Prepare weekly flash reporting for Senior Management Team, providing any additional insight as required
- Assess commercial viability of investment decisions, articulate financial risks and opportunities and support post-investment appraisal of business initiatives
- Develop and use innovative commercial solutions to maximise financial return whilst understanding and managing risk
- This role is a key part of the functional management team that is required to help to drive better decision-making and ultimately better operational and financial performance.
- Ad hoc requests as required by Group Head of Finance and Head of the business division.
You must be a qualified (ACA, CIMA, ACCA) accountant and will ideally have experience of working in a growing business in the manufacturing and/or retail/consumer trading sectors (although this is not essential) . You will be comfortable with group company structures and working in a matrix finance team structure. In particular you should tick the following:
- A qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent)
- Strong in the art and science of financial planning and its application to a business and operations
- Strong reporting systems knowledge
- Strong Excel skills
- Confident in presenting at senior levels
- Able to challenge the status quo
- An innovative problem solver
- Hands-on nature