About the Client
Our client is the Global Outsourcing team of a top 10 professional services business. Their clients are typically large organisations that require them to provide a suite of services on a year-round basis. You would be joining an exciting, dynamic and fast-growing environment where the senior team are committed to development and support of their people.
The role will be based in the Reading office, working within the Accounts and Financial Reporting “AFR” team of 20. This is a dedicated team responsible for the delivery of financial statements and advisory services to help clients meet their financial reporting needs. The AFR team focuses on the delivery of UK financial reporting services to multi-national businesses; providing a high quality, fresh approach which is tailored to each client’s individual needs.
About the Role
As an AFR Manager you will have responsibility for a portfolio of client work reporting directly to the Director of the AFR team. You will manage the team on a day to day basis and build and sustain internal and external client relationships. You will be responsible for all aspects of service delivery from client take on and fee negotiations to final reporting and client meetings ensuring all assignments are delivered to a high quality and within agreed timescales. In addition, you will develop your skills in business development, contributing to bids and assessing opportunities to build fees with existing clients.
In addition to client facing work and business development activity you will also work to provide support to the Senior Managers and Director on departmental issues including resourcing, coaching and feedback to more junior members of staff, ensuring compliance with the stream’s policies and procedures and the firm’s risk management procedures.
Key responsibilities include:
- Act as a major point of contact within the firm for a portfolio of clients. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
- Conduct rigorous project and financial management on all projects, completing projects within agreed timescales and raising issues with clients in a timely manner.
- Engage with clients directly on technical queries and challenges.
- Responsible for the financial management of, and maximising profitability from, a portfolio of clients.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Liaison with central departments on risk management, technical and other matters.
- Resource allocation, training and development
- Ensure assignments are staffed with the appropriate mix of knowledge and skills required.
- Recruit, retain, develop and motivate our employees, which includes participating in graduate recruitment, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for counselees.
- Work as part of management team with other managers within the business group (e.g. resource planning, performance rate meetings and efficiency gains)
- Report in to Senior Manager and Director team and escalate issues for their attention.
- Assist in the development and delivery of training of the AFR team and wider Global Outsourcing group.
- Act as a role model for the team.
- Support director in networking and building internal and external relationships to identify new business and sales opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Contribute to the preparation of fee quotes for new work, bid documents and bid presentations.
- Identify and recognise business and sales opportunities with clients, and inform the senior management team as appropriate.
- Support the senior management team with the implementation and communication of any new business strategy for existing clients, target clients and the internal business.
Required Knowledge and Experience
In particular, they are looking for:
- Qualified ACA or equivalent.
- Significant previous experience in an assistant manager role or experience in a manager role, including delivering statutory accounts preparation or audit services to large businesses.
- Excellent working knowledge of FRS 102 and related financial reporting requirements as well as previous experience preparing statutory accounts, consolidations and cash flows.
- Working knowledge of FRS 101 and IFRSs as well as previous experience reconciling IFRS and UK GAAP results.
- Knowledge and experience of the new IFRS standards (IFRS 9, IFRS 15 and IFRS 16)
- Managing and developing staff, i.e. coordinating staff projects, mentoring, counselling, appraising, recruiting etc.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively, adopting a logical and methodical approach in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework.
- Working knowledge of financial products, firm services, issues regarding advice and regulation and compliance, including anti-money laundering.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
In addition, it is desirable but not essential that candidates can demonstrate the following:
- Working knowledge of US GAAP requirements as well as experience reconciling US and UK GAAP results
- Experience with international groups and working with overseas companies.
- Business development experience - able to contribute to the identification and conversion of opportunities to sell work.