The business has a new global operating model for Finance, based on shared services supporting the markets and a leaner corporate centre consisting of four pillars.
The four pillars of this global operating model are:
- Finance Markets (FM): a commercial team who will be a co-pilot to the market CEOs and business leadership teams.
- Finance Operations (FO): a highly effective and agile team managing resources and providing excellent services to the rest of the function.
- Finance Technical (FT): a team of Finance experts who will leverage the global technical expertise in areas like investments, tax, hedging, re-insurance and accounting and actuarial advisory to provide “solutions” which are consistent across Finance.
- Finance Corporate (FC): an insight-oriented team who own headquarter functions such as Investor Relations, Capital Allocation, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Mergers & Acquisitions.
The Technical Advisory and Policy team, where this role sits, is part of FT and owns and advises on group accounting policy and its application globally. The team also advises on regulatory reporting policy.
In particular the team:
- Provides accounting advisory support on a wide range of queries, transactions and projects, partnering the Markets and Centre in making financial decisions.
- Supports high quality external and internal reporting delivery.
- Supports the interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments and inputs into the business lobbying position.
- Owns Group reporting manuals in respect of IFRS and Solvency II.
- Provides relevant training.
Key Role Responsibilities
The primary purpose of the role will be to support the Head of Technical Accounting to deliver best in class technical accounting advisory support to the global business. Responsibilities will include technical support for reporting activity, implementation of accounting change and decision support for queries, transactions and projects.
As part of the wider Technical Advisory and Policy team, the role holder will also be responsible for ensuring clear line of sight of the impact of Insurance accounting issues in the non-UK markets on wider Group reporting including KPIs.
The role holder will also support the Technical Accounting Lead on technical topics such as mergers & acquisitions, share based payments, pensions accounting, financial instruments, derivatives and hedge accounting.
As a manager in the team, key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Accounting advisory support on a range of queries, transactions and projects.
- Review and quality assurance of external and internal reporting deliveries.
- Engagement and issue resolution with external audit on technical accounting matters.
- Interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments.
- Contributing to updates to Group accounting manuals.
- Provide training to wider finance on areas of expertise.
We’re looking for a qualified accountant with demonstrable post-qualified experience, gained within a large company environment or in practice, and with an in-depth knowledge of IFRS. You will have a strong mix of relationship management and technical accounting skills (including experience of researching, interpreting and applying accounting standards)
- Degree level or equivalent
- Qualified accountant with in depth knowledge of IFRS and experience of technical issues common to FTSE 100 corporate centre activity and/or experience of insurance accounting
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Articulates complex analysis to a wide range or audiences.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and stakeholder management – can work with colleagues across disciplines and is credible with senior management.
- Exercises sound and balanced judgement in complex situations.
- Commercially astute, and able to translate between business actions and financial implications.
- Proven ability to manage a diverse portfolio of work.
- Can flex priorities in line with changing business needs.
- Attention to detail and controls focus, strives to keep the business safe from financial misstatement.
- Experience of the financial services regulatory reporting environment including ESMA and FRC requirements.
- Broad but less in depth knowledge of other reporting bases in Financial Services
- Excellent technical accounting analysis skills including experience of researching, understanding, interpreting and applying accounting standards.